Building a network is hard…
It starts with a professional image. I can help you create an image that projects your confidence and approachability.
What Do People Say…
“Kevin is the consummate pro. He makes you feel relaxed and knows his art. The end product exceeded my wildest expectations.”
“Professional and responsive from my first point of contact. Provided an excellent variety of resources in preparing for the photo session. Patient and persistent in capturing just the right images.”
“What impressed me most was his awareness of every nuance a photo gives. He can coach you into getting that portrait of who you truly are, but didn’t know you could convey so well.”
Human Services Assistant
Meet Kevin Elwell
I got my first real camera in the late 80s and I became completely fascinated with the portraits I took. It was the expression and the story that I could tell just with the snap of the shutter. A person’s face is their story.
My journey took me on a lot of twists and turns and I have had no fewer than three careers, almost all involving a lot of very sophisticated technology and science. But I have found that my calling has always been to capture images of people and tell their story through those images.
It has been a natural progression to become a specialist that is focussed solely on headshots. Nowadays, your headshot is your digital handshake. People make their first impressions of you with that image, that profile shot, the little postage-stamped-size picture of you. That’s why you need a specialist – someone that cares about the details, the expression, the way the light falls on your face, and the sharpness captured in your eyes. Let me help you craft that image – one that will tell your story and help you make the dynamic first impression that you deserve.
This link will get you my pricing and all the details you need to schedule if you’re ready.
Need to talk to Kevin?
If you’d like a telephone consultation, you’ll be able to match up your calendar to mine here.
My Process is Simple
1. Scheduling your appointment is easy when you match your schedule up with mine through my on-line appointment system. You choose a time that works for you.
2. We’ll use my feedback system to fine-tune your expression and pose to get just the right look for you. Then we’ll use my expertise and your preference to select the best images.
3. Every image needs Photoshop to retouch any imperfections. I then upload the finished product in three crops to a dropbox folder for you to download.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I need a Professional for a headshot?
1. Equipment: A professional will use professional-grade lenses, cameras, and lighting. I use Canon cameras and my lenses are all Canon professional-grade lenses. Just the lenses cost more than the most expensive iPhone – frequently by a factor of 2 or 3. Their quality in both sharpness and resolution is unmatched.
2. Experience: you need someone that knows what makes a good image, who understands exposure, posing, lighting, and perhaps most importantly what sort of image will best represent you in the pursuit you’re undertaking (e.g. a lawyer needs to look different than a restaurant owner).
3. Editing: taking a good picture is where it starts, but editing is where your image will pass or fail. You need a professional that can even out colors in skin, increase the sharpness in your eyes, soften the wrinkles, and reshape or alter faces, wardrobe or exposure to create an image that makes you look your best.
4. First Impressions: You Get One Chance! If you’re trying to get a job or trying to make that killer first-impression, you need an image that will deliver on that promise. Almost a third of the United States is on LinkedIN and you’ll get just a few seconds with a user to catch their eye, so you’ll need your best look to help you separate yourself from your competition.
What if I hate taking pictures?
Disliking your own appearance in pictures is actually a very common experience, and one that I have encountered frequently in my experience. It’s very similar to hearing your own recorded voice – it’s a very strange experience for many and downright uncomfortable for some people. There are a lot of reasons why people, in general, don’t like to look at their own image, so please don’t think you’re alone and don’t think you can’t overcome this well enough for us to get a great image of you.
One of the most common aspects of this is comparing yourself unfavorably to others, especially in light of the impossible standards that culture and the media portray as beautiful. This business of comparing yourself to these people and these aspects of appearance can be frustrating and create a lot of totally unrealistic expectations. You are your harshest critic, so my only advice is to be realistic, and step back from the mirror and tell yourself that you may not match-up to them and accept who you are with all your “limitations.” Then you can strive to be the best “you” that you can be.
I’ll be using all my knowledge of posing that will flatter and emphasize your strengths, camera angles that take a three-dimensional problem and distill it into complementary two-dimensional solution, and facial expressions that will project confidence and approachability. All you need to do is trust me as the professional, relax, be confident, and focus on being authentic. I will work with you, coach you, and show off what’s good and de-emphasize what’s not-so-good.
How do I prepare for my session?
There are two things I’d like to share with you here: 1) I’m using some fantastic equipment (e.g. double-diffused lighting that is super soft and flattering), professional cameras and lenses, and the most advanced editing techniques in Photoshop; and 2) I’m going to give you clear and complete instructions on what you need to do (both prep and posing), so that together we create images that are phenomenal and you’ll be proud of.
So I have number one covered – how about your part? Clicking on this link will take you to my guide for your consideration. These are tips and tricks I’ve used over my many years of experience to achieve the goal of directing the viewer to your face and leaving them with your best impression of who you are. With a little effort on your part, you’ll arrive prepared and feel confident and relaxed in front of the camera. Our goal in this instance is to help you feel your best so that we can capture the real you.
Why would my business need headshots?
1. Branding on Your Website – you need a consistent polished look for what matters most to your customers – your employees and their service to the business. If the images you present look consistent, your business looks like a team. They look like they’re working together to create something of value for your customers.
2. Branding on Social Media – your customers probably know your employees. Do you think it’d be important for that consistency and that polish to shine through via their social media outlets – yes of course. Your brand will extend automatically and reach your customer base as well as their extended family and friends.
3. Promotional Purposes – sometimes your employee will need a promotional picture, such as when they are doing a speaking engagement, or publishing a paper. What image will you use for that purpose – a selfie just won’t do. You could also use these images in email signatures and for security badges.
4. Goodwill Towards Your Employees – employees want and need that professional headshot for themselves. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve had someone in front of my camera telling me that they haven’t had a professional picture taken of themselves in decades. People feel good about themselves when they get something that becomes a timeless heirloom for their loved ones and for their own purposes.
Get aHead Shot
Kevin Elwell Photography, LLC
Washington DC Metro & Northern VA
6720 Hartwood Lane
Centreville, VA 20121